Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Recent birding

As out time here comes to an end I'm conscious of the rapidly disappearing opportunities I have for birding and have to think carefully where I put in the effort.  Minziro Forest, Katoke Teacher Training College and the acacia woodland along the Karagwe road are the main targets.  Several visits to each is the goal.

On 30th May I went to Minziro.  There were few birds in the forest itself (Jameson's Wattle-eye was the highlight) but I managed a couple of new ones on the forest edge.  These were a pair of Grey Penduline Tits (possibly Africa's smallest bird) and a single Brubru.  A pair of Pipits on the road through the forest could have been Woodland Pipits but I need to go back for a better look.  Mammals seen included a Red-legged Sun Squirrel and a rather angry Baboon high in a forest edge tree.

Red-legged Sun Squirrel

Olive Baboon
On 5th June Jenny and I went to the Karagwe road woodland.  This is a new area for me and many of the missing species seem to be here - mainly drier country species not found in the higher rainfall areas I usually visit.  Things like African Grey Hornbills, Fork-tailed Drongos, Red-cheeked Cordonbleus, Bare-faced Go-away Birds are all here.  On this visit we added Yellow-fronted Tinkerbird and Long-tailed Cisticola - the latter possibly a first for Kagera.  Also here were Golden-breasted Bunting, a Green Wood-Hoopoe and a yet to be identified Lark Croaking Cisticola.

Long-tailed (Tabora) Cisticola

Golden-breasted Bunting
My binoculars are just holding together.  Last week I had them in the garden and lost one of the wind-up lens ends.  About an hour of careful weeding was successful in finding it and it is now securely held on with a length of dental floss.  I'll recommend this modification to Nikon for future models.

Make me an offer, Nikon!
A new garden bird was added on Sunday with a Grey-capped Warbler perching on our power line.  Normally a skulker this was my 149th species for the house area survey.

Bukoba 7th June 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment