Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Birding in Bukoba - update

I'm continuing to add birds to the house list.  Recently I've seen Black-winged Kite, Gabar Goshawk, Little, White-rumped and Palm Swifts, Pied Kingfisher, Greater Honeyguide, Grey Woodpecker, Chinspot Batis, Black Cuckooshrike, Black-headed Oriole, Yellow-throated Greenbul, Barn Swallow, Violet-backed Starling, Snowy-crowned Robin-Chat, Village Weaver, Vieillot's Black Weaver, Yellow-bellied and Black-crowned Waxbills and Yellow-throated Longclaw.  70 species now for the house survey site and 84 for Bukoba in all.
Baglafect Weaver
Scarlet-chested Sunbird

I've retracted Paradise Flycatcher because I now suspect it was a female Black-and-white Shrike-Flycatcher (a species I've seen fairly regularly now).  I've also deleted Westrn Citril because I think I got it wrong and the Northern Puffback was more likely a Black-backed Puffback (again one I've seen several times now).  There are a few non-breeding plumage bishop/widowbird/whydah/quelea type birds around but I haven't figured out what they might be yet.  I'm endeavouring to photograph them to help with identification.  Most of the canaries are Brimstone but I've definitely seen at least one Yellow-fronted Canary as well.

Any time now the European migrants will start arriving.  The Barn Swallows I saw a few nights ago were probably early arrivers.  I need to study up the warblers and raptors in particular.

Down in town I've added a few species but haven't spent much time looking there.  We saw a spectacular little Sunbird along Shore Road which had a bright blue back in the sunlight.  The only close match is Western Violet-backed Sunbird but we both agree it wasn't white underneath.  Any suggestions?  An African Green-Pigeon was also down near the lake on the weekend.  At the wooden bridge over the stream flowing into the lake were several tiny flycatchers.  Swamp Flycatcher would seem most likely but none of the 4-5 we saw had the brown chest band of adults of this species.

A few birds seem to be thinking about breeding.  I've seen Rüpell's Starlings and Bronze mannikins carrying nesting material without any real purpose.  Some of the Weavers seem to be practicing their skills stripping bits of banana and palm leaves.  A pair of Augur Buzzards are building a nest close to our house as well.

Monday 16 August, Bukoba

No comments:

Post a Comment